and we’re back after a few weeks away! how was your week? mine was actually pretty mellow…i attended the opening party of a new pop-up tiki bar in the marina, and had a chili night with some girlfriends (and made my nana’s cornbread). the weekend should be also chill, watching some playoff basketball (go sixers!), and i’m running a 5k on sunday. i’m excited to get back to racing and maybe do a few more this year. also, the sephora spring bonus is back: until monday night, vib rouge (code: yayrouge) & vib get 15% off (code: yayvib) and beauty insiders get 10% off (code: yayinsider). so far i picked up the summer riley the influencer clean long wear foundation but will probably go back this weekend. see my other picks and my current skincare routine here.
- j.crew’s sales continued to go down in 2017 and fast-fashion giant h&m’s profits hit their lowest point in sixteen years. j. crew has brought back old styles like the rugby & barn jacket (but not done in the same way), added lingerie and lower priced swim (to compete with aerie and free people), but really in my mind the product isn’t interesting. madewell has continued to keep the company afloat, and now they will begin to open more stores and pop-up inside more nordstrom locations. h&m, on the other hand, is routinely a place a shop at but it’s unsettling how much unsold clothing they have. i’m making a more conscious effort to not shop fast fashion as frequently and to donate and/or recycle things i don’t wear anymore.
- one brand that has definitely found its groove is uniqlo, and round 2 of the j.w. anderson collab is available to shop online today. i picked up the reversible trench from the initial collection, and there’s a bunch of fun striped pieces in the line for spring.
- so happy for julia who just launched her collection of dresses and they are all gorgeous. the line is available at shop.galmeetsglam.com, nordstrom.com and select nordstrom stores (including the san francisco center and walnut creek).
- there’s a few good fashion documentaries coming out that i’m really looking forward to. first, the gossip according to andré, about the life of former vogue editor-at-large andré leon talley. talley has lived an extraordinary life, growing up in the jim crow south, raised by his grandparents. he worked for andy warhol, diana vreeland at the met, before turning to the editorial world and becoming the most prominent african-american working in magazines. the second is about alexander mcqueen, the so-called enfant terrible who brought fantasy back to fashion before his life was cut tragically short. the gossip according to andré is in theaters now in select cities; mcqueen premieres at the tribeca film festival this weekend and will open in select cities july 13.
- prince in one of my all-time favorite artists, and we got two gems this week thanks to the internet gods: unseen rehearsal video of him performing “nothing compares 2 u” and a peek inside his amazing closet.
my five favorite looks of the week were margo, renia, tamu, chrissy, and natalia.