oh hi there! who’s ready for the weekend? it was a pretty good week: i’m doing some behind the scenes work freshening up the site, started watching american crime story: the assassination of gianni versace (are you watching?), and i went to a really informative talk with skincare specialist kristina holey and formulator marie veronique at credo beauty. this weekend is shaping up to be a busy but fun one with dinner tonight with some girlfriends, brunch tomorrow, and the conference championship football games (and the sag awards) on sunday. go eagles!
- i have definitely been getting more and more into sneakers recently, and trends are indicating i’m not alone. i got myself a new pair of running shoes (the updated version of my nike free rn), and for christmas i treated myself to the air jordan 1 retro flyknit. i know a lot of people love the flyknit fabric in their workout shoes, but it looks so fresh in these (i wear a size 7, so i was able to save a bit by getting these in a boys’ size). jordan has been tapping in to the female market recently by having jasmine jordan (michael’s daughter) working on some designs for the line. spring has been dubbed “the season of her” and the first drop are pastel suede and satin jordan 1’s out january 25. the colors are sooo pretty. if these aren’t your jam (haha!), there’s a zip version of the jordan 1’s and a vachetta leather jordan 11 with gold hardware coming in the next few months.
- i think we can all agree that we have a love/hate relationship with instagram, and that relationship is about to be tested once more with some new changes to the algorithm that were announced this week. i was started to feel really good about the growth i’ve had over the last 12-16 months, but that has stalled in the last few months. did you know you only see about 10% of what people you follow post? i realized i was missing photos or seeing them in a weird order, but i didn’t realize it was so many photos. for those of you that aren’t content creators, how has the algorithm affected how you interact with instagram?
- the women’s march is tomorrow in hundreds of cities across the country, and garmentory and for all womankind is offering free posters at these local boutiques.
- local sf jewelry favorite margaret elizabeth has team up with apolis on a limited edition market tote with “resist persist feminist” on it. my friend annie has been working on the margaret elizabeth team and this was her first collaboration with meg. 10% of the sale of each bag goes to planned parenthood and a portion of every sale is also given back to the bangladeshi artisans who make each piece.
- two of my favorite independent brands are having warehouse sales in san francisco this weekend. the arrivals is celebrating their last weekend in the mission with a sample sale, the perfect spot to find a gorgeous biker or shearling jacket. modern citizen’s bi-annual sale kicks off tomorrow. expect to find big savings on their refined pieces like knits, dresses, and jewelry.
my five favorite looks of the week are from krystal, sam, sade, blake and tandya…happy friday!