today i had the pleasure of attending a lunchtime presentation with roopal patel (above right), the fashion director at neiman marcus, at the san francisco store as she went over fall trends. it was a small group that was treated to mimosas, small bites, and an intimate look at what pieces you’ll be craving as the weather turns crisp.
patel chatted at length about the return to ladylike dressing—with the keywords being demure, polish, and refinement. and when you mention those words, you can’t help but think of céline. the leather trim coat, bowtie blouse, and a-line mini were paired with a chocolate brown low-heel boot and gucci’s 1973 croc shoulder bag. it’s all about mixing textures, said patel, like cashmere, leather, croc and brushed gold.
the cape is also big for fall, as shown again by céline. instead of a towering stiletto, the new shoe silhouette is the kitten heel, and manolo blahnik’s “carolyne” is the standard (charles david and guess have slingbacks that won’t break the bank). although it’s an elegant look, the miniskirt keeps things sexy (and the lower heel keeps it tasteful).
speaking about textures, patel talked about fur alot, both the real and faux varietites, as well as leopard (a trend that started this fall and carries through to spring 2011). here both trends collide with a haute hippie faux fur vest, lanvin leopard print dress, and ysl fur trimmed bag. it’s probably a bit much to wear all together, but taken apart, they’re all pieces that can work with what’s already in your wardrobe.
other things that patel mentioned are key for fall:
– a feminine suit, that’s romantic (think wider leg, softer jacket) and less androgynous
– a chocolate brown bag (of course céline is making some stunners, but alexander wang, sequoia paris, and coach are also tops)
– swingy coat, add a leather or suede belt for a touch of texture
– something trimmed in fur (many designers are doing faux) or feathers
– a chunky pearl necklace, not a typical strand of pearls, but something mixed with chains and rhinestones, like the fallon mixed deadly pearls necklace.
– have fun! the great things about these trends is that they really aren’t trendy at all—each give you a way to show your individuality in your personal style, whether you are big into leopard or love a kitten heel.
here are more pics of the accessory vignettes that the team at nm set up on each trend:
clockwise from top: celine olive luggage tote, celine tan chain handle bag, givenchy jeweled box clutch, nancy gonzalez chocolate crocodile ruffle satchel
clockwise from left: prada barolo saffiano lux open tote, celine camel box bag, manolo blahnik beige “carolyne” bow kitten heel slingback, manolo blahnik brown/burgundy eelskin pump
from top: fendi leopard hair calf peek-a-boo bag, lanvin snakeskin and tortoise shell chain handle bag, louboutin “souris” leopard & lace kitten heel
christian louboutin “toundra” leather and coyote bootie, azzedine alaia suede lace up bootie
wide cuffs add instant polish to any outfit…my favorite is the purple stingray one with mother-of-pearl accents (top, center)