september magazines in the u.s. were very shiny and happy, while for some of the biggest international editions, it was a bit more serious, more severe, and by comparison, more interesting.
1. vogue paris has roitfeld fave anna selezneva (photographed by mert and marcus) and although fashion is having a nineties moment right now, this cover is very eighties, with the bright buffalo plaid (ralph lauren) and orange lipstick.
there are alot of great eds in this issue, starting with agyness in rock couture (by david sims, styled by joe mckenna). it’s sharp and edgy, daria reteams with inez and vinoodh in lignes & attitude where she takes an emmanuelle alt turn in black and white, which is fitting because the ed was styled by alt. continuing the vogue paris love affair, cover model anna takes on carine roitfeld in her ed, while the en vogue feature has the shopping lists of many of the fashion editors. also inside is “24 heures chrono” (also by inez and vinoodh) featuring natasha poly taking on a day’s worth of style, and “le nouveau paris de ralph lauren” by cédric buchet has anja rubik against ancient statues wearing the designer. the issue is a tour de force that won’t disappoint.
2. chanel iman scores her first solo cover (she shared may 07 vogue and feb. 08 teen vogue) with september’s vogue korea. while many of the mag’s editorials are reprints, chanel’s is not and she looks stunning.
3. vogue italia has newcomer viktoriya sasonkina on the cover, while the couture supplement features daphne guiness shot by steven klein. there is a bit of the same (guinevere in an ed by paolo roversi, caroline trentiti/stam/catherine macneil), but alot more of the new and interesting (emma watson by mark seliger, julianne moore by peter lindbergh, anja and agnete by miles alridge).
4. i am a huge fan of ankle booties and i just bought these (in black) from victoria’s secret. rumi and karla were there first, already making some pretty cool outfits with these as a base. if you want to get technical, they are loosely based on christian louboutin’s ariella bootie, spotting on ashley olsen. i actually like the vs ones better; they’re cut nice and low and show off more leg. check out my chictopia blog to see how i’ll style them.
5. now that the olympics are over, what i thought would be a void of shows has been filled with the overwhelming number of fashion/design based shows either on now or starting soon. project runway is in full swing, the hills has just returned to mtv, while glam god (vivica a. fox’ stylist competition) and i want to work for diddy are in the early stages. america’s next top model starts on wednesday as does top design, now hosted by india hicks (daughter of david). and returning monday…you know you love me…gossip girl. better get your dvr’s ready!
vogue paris cover scan by dieselmax at thefashionspot; agyness and daria scanned by cadg at tFS; vogue korea scan by chrisis511 at tFS; vogue italia pic from womenmanagement.com; ashley olsen, olsenfiles.com; booties, victoriassecret.com; rachel zoe, dailymail.co.uk